Coast of Gold is the second movement of a three-movement Spanish-themed suite for marching band. It features various sections of the band (winds, brass, battery percussion, and front ensemble) at different times of the production playing a fast, driving theme. This is interrupted by a cantabile flute and clarinet duet and, later, by a beautiful brass chorale that culminates in a dramatic, sustained chord and caesura before returning to the theme in the keyboard percussion.
- Woodwinds: Piccolo; flute 1 and 2; clarinet 1 and 2; alto saxophone 1 and 2; and tenor saxophone.
- Brass: Trumpet 1, 2, and 3; mellophone 1 and 2; trombone 1 and 2; baritone; and tuba.
- Marching Percussion: Snare drum; tenor drum; four bass drums; and cymbals.
- Front Ensemble: Orchestra bells, mark tree, and vibraslap; vibraphone; marimba 1 and 2; chimes; and two auxiliary percussionists: sizzle cymbal; ride cymbal, snare drum, gourd, concert bass drum, tam-tam, and claves. If purchased along with the Spanish Traveler a la carte opener, the bass guitarist from Spanish Traveler would play the Percussion 1 part.
- Ron Hess, Composer and Arranger
- Ron is a composer, percussionist, and University of Maryland music graduate based in Knoxville, TN. Adamant about keeping an open mind and getting as much information from as many diverse sources as possible, Ron has studied composing and arranging in workshop settings with Christopher Young (Spiderman 3, Ghost Rider, The Shipping News), Jason Graves (Tomb Raider, Dead Space) and Lennie Moore (Halo: The Master Chief Collection, Star Wars the Old Republic). Ron’s primary composition teachers include new music composer and percussionist Stuart Saunders Smith and Mark E. Wilson (The Phoenix). His percussion teachers include Dennis DeLucia, Dan Armstrong, and Pat Petrillo. Ron has marched with and taught some of the best drum lines in the country, including the Bridgemen, Bushwackers, and the WGI Championship Hatboro-Horsham indoor percussion ensemble. Ron has also instructed and consulted with percussion programs for Tournament of Band champions Lake Lehman and Hanover Area. Ron’s scholarly work can be found in Percussive Notes and Perspectives of New Music.
Sales and Licensing Information:
The shows are to be used for one competitive season (either indoor or marching). If a group wants to use the work beyond that in any fashion, whether competitive or not, additional permission will be required from Licks and Kicks Music in advance.
All licenses are issued on a first come, first served basis. Licks and Kicks Music reserve the right to sell/license any and all content, including Licensee purchases, to other Licensees for shows/contests/performances that are not specifically listed on your checkout form.
Licks and Kicks Music bases our Regional Exclusivity on the competition circuits that each group competes in. We rely heavily on the information that our customers provide to us in order to accurately report circuits they plan to attend. This includes local circuits, national circuits, and local shows, contests, and competitions that are not sanctioned by a circuit.
We will not sell/license the same piece or show to more than ONE group in any given local circuit, national circuit, or local show/contest/competition. For national circuits, such as BOA or WGI, we will not sell/license the same piece or show to more than ONE group for specific regional or championship locations. This is why it is extremely important that each and every customer accurately reports to us their circuit participation information to guarantee regional exclusivity for everyone.
The Licensee shall provide the complete information of each Contest Performance where Licensee will be performing prior to purchase by completing all fields of the checkout form on the website. Contest Performance exclusivity is only guaranteed once completed information is received and approved by Licks and Kicks Music staff. This will allow Licks and Kicks Music to track each Licensee at all Competitions to ensure the exclusive use by Licensee.
Licks and Kicks Music will not take any financial responsibility for groups who perform shows outside of the information they provided to us at the time of their purchase, or to any group who has an infringing group competing in the same show or circuit with an authorized Licks and Kicks Music license. Any break in exclusivity due to the a change of plans for any given group, without written consent from Licks and Kicks Music, is the sole responsibility of the offending group or organization. Licks and Kicks Music always makes every attempt to contact the group ahead of time and work with both groups if we are alerted to this situation, but we do not guarantee resolution or action.
Exclusivity is not available to the Licensee for shows/contests/competitions that require bracketed regional participation for advancement into other shows/contests/competitions.
Payment must be made online via credit card or PayPal, or via Purchase Order. Payment (or guaranteed payment in the case of a Purchase Order) must be received before you will be able to download your purchase(s). Flexible payment options may be available, but must be approved by Licks and Kicks Music in advance of purchase.
Licks and Kicks Music is unable to offer refunds on any of our items. Our music pieces and shows include regional exclusivity, which means we have licensed those individual pieces and/or shows to a specific customer in their area, therefore declining purchases from other groups who wanted to purchase the licensing for the same pieces and/or shows in the same region.